Michael Coleman Talbot (September 29, 1953 – May 27, 1992) was an American author of a number of books highlighting parallels between ancient mysticism and quantum mechanics, and espousing a theoretical model of reality that suggests the physical universe is akin to a giant hologram. According to Talbot ESP, telepathy, and other paranormal phenomena are real and are a product of his holographic model of realityTemplate:Citation needed.
Writing and influencesEdit
Born in Michigan, Michael Talbot's (non-fiction) books include Mysticism And The New Physics, Beyond The Quantum, and (arguably his most notable workTemplate:Citation needed) The Holographic Universe.
In The Holographic Universe, Talbot explores the idea that the entire universe is a hologram. He examines the works of physicist David Bohm and neurophysiologist Karl H. Pribram, both of whom independently arrived at holographic theories or models of the universe. Talbot suggests that a holographic model might provide a scientific foundation for understanding various paranormal and anomalous phenomena, such as extrasensory perception, and provide a scientific basis for understanding mystical experience. He also ties in elements of Carl Jung's "collective unconscious" theory, and the synchronicity phenomenon, to suggest the existence of an underlying unified field that ties all things in the universe together.
It is said that Talbot has made the often esoteric concepts of Bohm, Pribram, et al., accessible to the general public.Template:Citation needed This may be in some part due to his earlier work as a science fiction authorTemplate:Citation needed.
Talbot attempted to incorporate psychology, anthropology, spirituality, religion, and science to shed light on truly profound questions that we have struggled with since the genesis of humanityTemplate:Citation needed.
Michael Talbot died from Leukemia in 1992 at the age of 38.
- The Delicate Dependency - 1982
- The Bog - 1986
- Night Things - 1988
- Mysticism and the New Physics - 1980 (rev. 1992)
- Beyond the First Quantum - 1986
- Your Past Lives - 1987
- The Holographic Universe - 1991
- The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot ISBN 0-06-092258-3
- Mysticism And The New Physics by Michael Talbot ISBN 0-14-019328-6
- Beyond The Quantum by Michael Talbot ISBN 0-553-34480-3
- The Holotropic Mind by Stanislav Grof ISBN 0-06-250659-5
- Wholeness And The Implicate Order by David Bohm ISBN 0-415-28979-3
- The Universe As A Hologram - article by Michael Talbot
- Synchronicity and the Holographic Universe (Interview on Thinking Allowed)
- Physics of the Mind: Holographic Realities (New Dimensions Radio - April 30, 1991)
- A review of "The Holographic Universe" (includes Talbot's Introduction to the book)
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found